Chapter 2. Turning 17

Happy Easter Monday/Happy 17th Birthday to me!

So here comes the classic "17 things I've learned in 17 years" post that was very hard for me to write. Purely because although I do feel that I have learned these things, I definitely don't practise what I preach all the time, because that would make me perfect and I don't feel perfect, far from it. So this list is not to show off about how far I've come or how grown up I am (I mean I still can't buy alcohol so calm down), just to make you think a little...


1. People know what you look like
In todays world where people are constantly posting and sharing photos online, it can be difficult to feel 100% comfortable in social situations. But if people have seen you in real life and still want to know you, their opinion of you is not going to change because Stacey posted an unflattering picture of you on her snapchat story. They know what you look like and still want to know you.

2. Removing negative people always works out well
So in these past seventeen years what were my life, I've felt the need to cut out people who are holding me back and/or down. I can promise you now, this benefited me overtime.

3. Success comes with hard work
Like many of you, I sat my GCSEs last year and I was very happy with my results. One of which that stands out to me is my History grade (an A). If you've seen my results video you will know that I didn't get on very well with my teacher, but I was determined to do well and exceed my predicted grade (which at the time was a C). I worked 10x harder independently for history than another subject and it payed off. I GOT MY A!

4. If it makes you happy, who cares?
This one speaks for itself (unless what makes you happy is illegal or just morally wrong)

5. Organisation is key
Having started A-Levels, my education has become a lot more independent study based. So keeping my notes and homework organised has become very important, both academically and mentally.

6. Look at the bigger picture
So you didn't work out this morning or you ate one too many biscuits last night. Are you really going to be looking back in ten years and care about or even remember it? Really?

7. Reward yourself
Sometimes life isn't fair, so be kind to yourself when the world isn't.

8. Listen more


9. Forgive and forget
Life is way too short to hold pathetic grudges.

10. Be more like Rory Gilmore
This past year I've fallen in love with the TV series Gilmore Girls and the relationship between Rory and Lorelei makes my heart feel warm. Rory's patience with everyone, witty comebacks and passion for education inspires me in every episode.

11. Make things pretty
Nowadays the world can seem pretty dark, so make things pretty whenever you can. 

12. Don't waste mornings
Mornings used to just be spent wasting time until lunch. But now I have learned to appreciate the sunrise, bird song and those extra 4 hours that I never realised were a part of the day!

13. Take every opportunity
This one has been hard for me to practise. A lot of my anxiety tends to appear when I'm in a new, strange situation, but I just think back to some of the amazing moments I've collected by just taking life by the horns and going for it.

14. Pinterest is the answer to everything
Need fashion inspiration? Pinterest. Need a motivational quote? Pinterest. Want a new workout routine? Pinterest. 

15. Balance
Your mental health is what keeps you going, so you have to be self-aware and know when to stop. Every aspect of life is always enhanced when it becomes balanced with the other areas of your life.

16. Appreciation is a wonderful thing...
It allows what is great in others belong to us as well. - Voltaire

17. Follow your heart
When it came to choosing my college this year, my decision was very last minute. I went with what felt right in the moment and I couldn't be happier with my decision. This has also applied to come more personal aspects of my life and I must say, sometimes the heart knows what it does and doesn't want and you just have to listen to it.

Francesca x



Comments

Popular Posts